Statistical Methods in Natural Language Processing
Automatic methods for natural language processing play an
important role in any human-machine interaction applications
and other tasks in artificial intelligence.
This course deals with statistical methods that have been
found most successful for many tasks in natural language
- Text and document classification including information retrieval
- Information extraction including tagging and semantic annotation
- Syntactic analysis and parsing
- Language modeling
- Machine translation of natural language
Lecture Notes (Access only permitted within the RWTH domain)
|20.04||Regular lecture||22.04||Regular lecture |
|27.04||Regular lecture||29.04||Regular lecture |
|04.05 ||Cancelled||06.05 ||Regular lecture |
|11.05 ||Regular lecture||13.05||Cancelled |
|18.05 ||Double lecture ||20.05 ||Regular lecture |
|25.05 ||Double lecture ||27.05 ||Regular lecture |
|01.06 ||Holiday||03.06||Holiday |
|08.06 ||Regular lecture||10.06 ||Cancelled (Dies) |
|15.06 ||Double lecture ||17.06 ||Double lecture |
|22.06 ||Regular lecture ||24.06 ||Regular lecture |
|29.06 ||Double lecture ||01.07 ||Cancelled |
|06.07 ||Cancelled||08.07 ||Cancelled |
|13.07 ||Double lecture||15.07 ||Regular lecture |
|20.07 ||Cancelled||22.07 ||Regular lecture |
15.06.09: On Wednesday, 17.06, we will have a double lecture. On Monday, 22.06, there will be a regular lecture (the calendar has been updated).
08.06.09: Additional schedule modifications. Consult the above calender for an overview.
27.05.09: Due to the excursion week (1.-7. June), the due date for the
5. exercise sheet is June 8th.
12.05.09: Following schedule modifications will take place:
There will be no changes to the exercises on these dates.
On Wednesday, 13.05.09, there will be no lecture.
On Monday, 18.05.09, there will be an additional lecture in our seminar room (Room 6124), from 11:30 to 12:30
On Monday, 25.05.09, there will be an additional lecture in our seminar room (Room 6124), from 11:30 to 12:30
29.04.09: Due to an official travel from Prof. Ney, next week there
will be following modifications to the schedule:
Note: There is no change for the exercise lessons.
On Monday, 4.05.09, there will be no lecture.
On Wednesday, 6.05.09, the lecture will be held by David Vilar.
27.04.09: We were not able to discuss exercise sheet 0 in the exercise
hour. We will discuss them next week, but you can hand them in for some
- 0. Exercise Sheet
- 1. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 04 May 2009)
Additional data: alice.txt
Example solution for exercise 4: ex01.src.tgz
- 2. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 11 May 2009)
- 3. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 18 May 2008)
Additional data: 20 Newsgroups Corpus, Spam Corpus
An example implementation of a multinomial classifier can be found here.
- 4. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 25 May 2008)
- 5. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 8 June 2008)
Additional data: European Parliament Corpus
Example implementation of a bigram language model
- 6. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 15 June 2008)
- 7. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 22 June 2008)
Additional data: Wall Street Journal POS Corpus
Example implementation of a bigram-based POS tagger.
- 8. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 29 June 2008)
- 9. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 6 July 2008)
- 10. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 13 July 2008)
- 11. Exercise Sheet (Submission: 20 July 2008)
Additional data: Translation data
Wed Jul 15 19:33:38 CEST 2009